The Osaka City Council is the city's local government formed under the Local Autonomy Law. The Council has eighty-nine seats, allocated to the twenty-four wards proportional to their population and re-elected by the citizens every four years. The Council elects its President and Vice President.
Toshifumi Tagaya (LDP) is the current and 104th President since May 2008. The Mayor of the city is directly elected by the citizens every four years as well, in accordance with the Local Autonomy Law. Kunio Hiramatsu, a former Mainichi Broadcasting System announcer is the 18th mayor of Osaka since 2007. He is supported by two Vice Mayors, Akira Morishita and Takashi Kashiwagi, who are appointed by himself in accordance with the city bylaw.
Osaka also houses several agencies of the Japanese Government. Below is a list of Governmental Offices housed in Osaka.
* Japan Coast Guard, Fifth Regional Headquarters
* Japan Fair Trade Commission; Kinki, Chugoku, Shikoku Office
* Kinki Regional Finance Bureau
* Kinki Regional Economy, Trade and Industry Bureau
* Kinki Regional Transportation Bureau
* Kinki Communications Bureau
* Kinki Regional Development Bureau
* Kinki Regional Police Bureau
* Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Osaka Office
* Osaka Customs
* Osaka District Court
* Osaka Family Court
* Osaka High Court
* Osaka Immigration
* Osaka Labour Bureau
* Osaka Meteorological Observatory
* Osaka Public Prosecutors Office
* Osaka Regional Aerospace Bureau
* Osaka Regional Law Bureau
* Osaka Regional Taxation Bureau
* Osaka Summary Court